There are so many hotels near Venice Marco Polo Airport that are not far from these amazing attractions listed below.
Basilica di San Marco
Basilica di San Marco (St Mark’s Basilica)Distance from Venice marco Polo Airport: 17.9 km
St Mark’s Square was memorably described by Napoleon as Europe’s finest ‘drawing room’. Here, the elegant eighteenth-century coffee houses, Florians and Caffe Quadri, spill their tables into the sunlight from the shadows of the Renaissance colonnades and peer at Europe’s most unusual church, the golden Byzantine Basilica of St Mark’s.The Basilica was founded in the ninth century as a shrine for the relics of St Mark, whose body was smuggled from Alexandria in a barrel of salted pork. Piazza San Marco
Tel: (041) 522 5205. Fax: (041) 520 8289.
Palazzo Ducale (Doges’ Palace)Distance from Venice marco Polo Airport: 17.8 km
The Doges’ Palace – once home of the elected leader of Venice, the Doge – as well as the city’s political nerve centre, is a must for anyone interested in the history of Venice and its former Empire. A building seemingly too graceful for the dirty work of government, its pearly façade is best appreciated from the lagoon in whose milky light her rosy complexion blushes beguilingly. A merging of Islamic and Gothic styles, the façade dates from 1365. In contrast to the stern fortifications of the castle formerly on this site, the undefended colonnade and arcaded balcony are a testament to Venice’s confidence and democratic outlook in the Middle Ages.
Riva degli Schiavoni, San Marco
Tel: (041) 522 4951. Fax: (041) 528 5028.
Rialto BridgeDistance from Venice marco Polo Airport: 17.8 km
Venice is historically centred on Rialto Island, whose name is derived from the Latin, rivus altus, meaning high bank. In the tenth century, a provisions market developed spontaneously on the adjacent island and so, in 1264, the first wooden bridge linking the two land masses was built. This wooden bridge ultimately collapsed in 1444 from the weight of crowds watching a wedding procession and it was replaced in 1588 by Antonio da Ponte’s design for the single stone arched bridge, which beat off proposals by Palladio and Michelangelo.
Galleria dell’AccademiaDistance from Venice marco Polo Airport: 16.6 km
Many of Venice’s greatest paintings remain in the buildings for which they were created, but Venice’s most important art gallery, the Accademia, is still worth a visit. Housed in the former church of Santa Maria della Carita and the adjoining Scuola, the collection first opened in 1750.
Tel: (041) 522 2247. Fax: (041) 521 2709.
Basilica dei Frari
Basilica dei FrariDistance from Venice marco Polo Airport: 13.8 km
The glorious Gothic church of Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari, constructed around 1330, is primarily associated with the name of Titian, Venice’s painter son who is buried here, alongside the city’s celebrated sculptor, Antonio Canova. Titian made his reputation and crowned his early years by painting the huge altar piece, The Assumption of the Virgin, for the Franciscan brothers of the Frari in 1518. The view through the choir screen and wooden choir to the high altar influenced Titian’s choice of frame and composition.
San Polo 3003
Tel: (041) 522 2637. Fax: (041) 275 0578.
Scuola di San RoccoDistance from Venice marco Polo Airport: 13.8 km
The renown of the School of St Roch, one of the many lay fraternities established in Venice for charitable works, is the series of masterful canvases decorating its interior by Jacopo Tintoretto. Founded in 1478, the Scuola was dedicated to St Roch, following a particularly vicious outbreak of plague. Tintoretto won the commission to decorate the entire Scuola in 1564, and spent the next 23 years doing so, becoming a brother of the school.
Campo San Rocco, San Polo 3052
Tel: (041) 523 4864. Fax (041) 524 2820.
Scuola Dalmata di San Giorgio degli SchiavoniDistance from Venice marco Polo Airport: 18.2 km
During the Middle Ages the large Dalmatian (schiavoni means ‘Slav’) population in Venice provided labourers for building ships in the Arsenal and sailors for Venetian fleets. Forming a charitable guild in 1451, they moved their seat to the School of St George in 1480, under the patronage of the Knights of Malta. Here, Vittore Carpaccio, himself of Istrian origin, painted a series of celebrated and brilliantly imaginative canvases between 1502 and 1508.
Calle dei Furlani 3259/a, Castello
Tel: (041) 522 8828. Fax: (041) 520 8446.
Peggy Guggenheim CollectionDistance from Venice marco Polo Airport: 16.9 km
Peggy Guggenheim’s collection of modern art is probably the most distinguished in Italy. The wealthy American heiress, a generous benefactor who helped promote Jackson Pollock, built up her collection between 1938 and 1947. Following the exhibition of the collection at the 1948 Venice Biennale, she bought the Palazzo Venier dei Leoni, where she lived until her death in 1979, leaving her estate to the Solomon Guggenheim foundation.
Palazzo Venier dei Leoni, Dorsoduro
Tel: (041) 240 5411. Fax: (041) 520 6885.