There are many hotels near the Tallinn Airport that are found close to these fun attractions.
Tallinn Town Hall
Tallinn Town HallDistance from Tallinn Airport: 4.9 km
Tallinn’s late Gothic Town Hall building is one of the most famed symbols of the city, recognized throughout Estonia as a venerable, unique architectural treasure.
The Town Hall was established on the central square, probably at the beginning of 13th century. In 1402-1404, the building was substantially reconstructed. The exterior we know today dates from this period, and the basic room plan has also been preserved, as it was reconstructed for hosting receptions.
The second floor was and still is the main floor, where the Citizen’s Hall, the Council Hall, a small kitchen and chancery are located and where festive receptions and concerts are held, just as they were in the Medieval days of yore. The three-nave cellar hall is open to citizens and guests today as an exhibit hall.
Summer 2004, the Town Hall celebrated its 600th anniversary with a number of special exhibitions. Not only will the fascinating hall itself be open for view, there will also be special historical displays covering the Town Council’s history, town rights and town justice.
Tallinn Town Hall and Cellar Hall are open: 01.07-31.08
Cellar Hall open: 17.05-30.06, 01.09-15.10
Closed: 01.04-16.05, 23-24.06, 30.07, 20.08, 16.10-31.03
Entrance to the Town Hall Tower 15.05-31.08 EVERY DAY at 11-18
Closed: 01.04-14.05, 23-24.06, 20.08, 01.09-31.03
St. Olav’s Church
St. Olav’s ChurchDistance from Tallinn Airport: 5.1 km
St. Olav’S Church was the tallest church in Medieval Europe. The earliest data on St. Olav’s Church come from 1267. Little is known about the building of this Gothic style church and its early years, but there may have been a church on this location as early as the 12th century, alongside the Scandinavian market yard.
The church was named after the Norwegian king Olav II Haraldsson, canonised as a saint. St. Olav was considered to be the protector of seafarers.
Around 1500, the building reached a height of 159 meters (now 123,7m), and became the world’s tallest building of the time. The motivation for building such an immensely tall steeple must have been to use it as a maritime signpost, which made the trading city of Tallinn visible from far out at sea. There was also a risk, however: the steeple has been hit by lightning at least eight times, and the whole church has burned down three times. The fire could be seen from Finland, all the way across the Gulf.
An additional intriguing detail about St. Olav’s comes from the Chronicles of Russow. In 1547, a group of acrobats visited Tallinn and tied a rope from the top of St. Olav’s steeple to the city wall. They performed dizzying tightrope tricks, to the delight and dismay of the city folk.
Legend says that once upon a time the nobles of Tallinn decided to build the tallest church in the world, in hopes of luring more merchants to the city. But where to find a master builder capable of carrying out such a task? Suddenly, a large, quiet stranger appeared out of nowhere and promised to build the church, but the payment he asked was more than the city could pay. The man was willing to forego payment, on just one condition – the city people had to guess his name.
The stranger worked fast and talked to no one. The church was nearly finished and the city fathers grew more anxious by the day. Finally, they sent a spy to sniff out the stranger’s name. The spy found the builder’s home, where a woman was singing a lullaby to a child: “Sleep, my baby, sleep, Olev will come home soon, with gold enough to buy the moon.” Now the city people had the man’s name! They called out to the builder, who was attaching a cross on the top of the steeple, “Olev, Olev, the cross is crooked!” Upon hearing this, Olev lost his balance and fell all the way down. Legend tells of a frog and a snake that crawled out of Olev’s mouth as he lay there on the ground. Building the enormous structure had required the help of dark powers. Yet the builder’s name was given to the church, named after St. Olav.
Services: Sun 10.00 and 12.00
Prayer hours: Fri 18.30
Bible hours: Thu 18.30
Open during services
The tower of St. Olav`s Church is open
1.4-31.10 Mon-Sun 10-18
Closed: 24.2, 1.5, 15.5, 23-24.6, 20.8, 01.11-31.03
Town Hall Pharmacy
Town Hall Pharmacy is one of the oldest pharmacies still functioning in its original spot in all of Europe.
The pharmacy, which stands on the corner of the Town Hall Square, was first mentioned in historical documents in 1422, but by some accounts, it may be older still. The town council-governed pharmacy sold many other goods besides medicine.
Over the centuries, it has changed slightly, but it still retains the flavour of bygone days, while it sells modern medicines. Medieval medicinal ingredients like bat powder and snakeskin are no longer available, but you can still try the fine spiced claret, renowned already in the Middle Ages.
Mon-Fri 9.00-19.00, Sat 9.00-17.00
Closed: 1.1, 24.2, 25.3, 27.3, 01.5, 15.5, 23-24.6, 20.8, 25-26.12