Stewart International Airport
Located in the small city of Newburgh in New York State, Stewart International Airport originates from the dreams of a local dairy farmer. In the early 1930’s, Archie Stewart donated more than 200 acres of his family’s land to the city of Newburgh. Stewart was an aviation enthusiast who had hoped to see an airport in his hometown. By the mid 1930’s, the city of Newburgh transferred ownership of the land to the federal government for a symbolic prize of one dollar. This change of hands was because of the Great Depression that hit many cities across the country really hard.
History of the Stewart Airport
By the end of the 1930’s, the government was able to develop a small airport in Newburgh thanks to the efforts of the nearby United States Military Academy in West Point. The cadets built the airport’s first facilities and used them for training purposes. On the brink of World War II, the airport in Newburgh became known as the Stewart Air Force Base, which was a major training base for the United States Air Force base heading off to the European front of the war. Today, Stewart International Airport is home to the New York Air National Guard division known as 105th Airlift Wing. The military facilities and aircraft are clearly visible for passengers entering the grounds at Stewart International Airport.
It was only during the 1970’s that plans for commercial passenger service at Stewart International Airport came into mind. New York State acquired the airport and began working on long term plans about the airport’s future. Only during the early 1990’s, Stewart International Airport began receiving millions of dollars in financial federal aid to help build the current facilities. Since 2007, the Port of Authority of New York and New Jersey has been managing the airport in Newburgh, NY. This authority is also in charge of managing the three main airports in the New York Metropolitan Area.
Today, Stewart International Airport covers more than 2,400 acres within the city limits of Newburgh. The airport is a convenient option for the Lower Hudson Valley region residents who’d like to avoid the hassles in New York City’s JFK and LaGuardia airports and Newark International Airport in New Jersey. The main terminal building at Stewart International Airport has more than 30 check-in desks on the ground floor and multiple departure gates that are located on the upper level.
Located near the intersections of Interstate 87 and Interstate 84, Stewart International Airport offers thousands of parking spaces to accommodate the incoming vehicle traffic. The Short Term and Long Term parking lots are located right across the main terminal building. There is also a small overflow parking lot that is located east of the terminal. Curbside pickups and drop-offs are convenient thanks to a smooth ride through Circulation Drive, which passes right next to the doors of the terminal building at Stewart International Airport.
Stewart International Airport uses two Asphalt runways to launch and receive aircraft. The 9/27 runway measures more than 11,800 feet in length and the 16/34 runway is over 6,000 feet long. Since 2006, the modern FAA commissioned Control Tower has been directing air traffic at Stewart International Airport.
Employing more than 1,000 workers, Stewart International Airport contributes significantly to the local economy in Orange County, New York. The airport also acts as a major gateway into the scores of historic and natural attractions in the Lower Hudson Valley. Being a major center for logistic operations in the Hudson Valley, Stewart International Airport also has more than half a million square feet of space dedicated for cargo operations.