Greater Rochester International Airport
History of the Greater Rochester Airport
Serving the third largest city in the state of New York, the Greater Rochester International Airport has a rich history that dates back to the 1920’s. In 1927, the first hangar building was built on land that was known as Britton Field at the time. That same year, the first ever flight between Rochester and New York City was successfully completed. The following year, Britton Field was renamed to Rochester Municipal Airport.
During World War II, the airport served as a training base for more than 1,000 cadets. However, no major Air Force operations were held in Rochester’s airport during the war. At the same time, the infrastructure and commercial passenger service had also grown rapidly during the military activities in Rochester’s airport. Right after the war, Monroe County claimed control of the Rochester Municipal Airport. Over the decades, millions of dollars in improvements helped develop the airport into what it is today.
Today, Greater Rochester International Airport is located along Brooks Avenue several miles south of Downtown Rochester. All of the airport’s facilities and land cover more than 1,200 acres. Built in the late 1980’s for more than 100 million dollars and opened in the early 1990’s, the modern terminal building has more than 380,000 square feet spread out on two levels. More than 20 gates are sufficient to accommodate more than 150 daily flights. The A Gates are located inside the Frederick A. Dogulass Concourse and the B Gates are located in the Susan B. Anthony Concourse. Both of the concourses are named after prominent American reform and civil rights activists.
Serving more than 2 million passengers each year, the Greater Rochester International Airport is officially the fourth busiest airport in the state of New York behind JFK, LaGuardia, and Buffalo-Niagara. Overall, the airport in Rochester is a major gateway into the upstate New York area near the Great Lakes region. Arriving passengers may appreciate the airport’s surroundings, which include rural countryside to the south, the Urban streets of Downtown Rochester to the Northwest and the shore of Lake Ontario to the North.
Made from concrete, the Primary Use runway at Greater Rochester International Airport is the 4/22 runway, which is 150 feet wide and just over 8,000 feet long. This busy runway is equipped with high intensity lighting technology for smooth operations. Measuring 5,500 feet in length, the 10/28 runway is considered a secondary use runway that makes great use for crosswind operations. The 4,000 foot long runway at the Greater Rochester International Airport is used for general aviation such as helicopters and small aircraft. The secondary runway and general aviation runway are both paved with Asphalt.
Parking at the Airport
Located right near Interstate 390, Greater Rochester International Airport offers enough parking space for thousands of incoming vehicles. The indoor Long Term Parking Garage is located across the terminal building. The Short Term Lot, Weekly Lot and On-Airport Shuttle Lot are located behind the garage. All of these parking areas are within walking distance from the terminal. Three Economy Shuttle lots are situated along Buell Road across Brooks Avenue. The Shuttle Parking lots are used for low cost long term parking, and there are free courtesy shuttle buses that serve these areas. Drivers can also pull up to the Upper Level roadway near the terminal building and leave their keys to a Valet parking attendant.
Public transportation at Greater Rochester International Airport is available in the Lower Level driveway. This area includes RTS buses, taxis and shuttle services. The Upper Level driveway is used to conveniently drop off passengers right near the main terminal building.