Where to Go
After picking up your bags at baggage claim, grab your Manchester airport car rental at the Car Rental Village, located at Ringway Road, Manchester Airport, M22 5WH.
How to Get There
To get to the Car Rental Village, take the free Manchester Airport Buses from any terminal at the airport. They depart from terminals every 10 minutes, seven days a week. Note: Opening hours vary by operator.
All Manchester rental cars are picked up and dropped off at Car Rental Village. Look for the rental car counter where your car will be available off the airport terminal. Many recognizable car operators, including Europcar, AVIS, Alamo, Enterprise, Budget, Hertz, National and Sixt, are available for your convenience at the airport Car Rental Village.
Driving Tips in Manchester
- First and foremost, drivers in England drive on the opposite side of the road – the left-hand side – and the driver’s seat sits on the right. It may take some time to get used to, but be ready for this noteworthy difference.
- Familiarize yourself with your rental car and its controls before you leave the airport. Check the lights, windshield wipers, rearview and sideview mirrors, etc.
- It is illegal to talk on a cellphone while driving in the U.K.
- Be aware of U-turners. Drivers are permitted to execute a U-turn or a three-point turn on any U.K. road unless it’s explicitly prohibited.
- If you’re driving outside of the city center, you might notice that some country roads are too narrow for two cars to pass. In this case, make use of the shoulders, where one driver can move to the side of the road and allow oncoming traffic to pass.
- Keep your headlights on during the day, especially during the foggy or misty conditions that Manchester is known for.
- If the speed limits are not indicated, the speed limits in the U.K. are 30 miles per hour in the city, 40 to 50 miles per hour on country roads, 60 mph on single-lane highways and 70 mph on double lane highways.
- In Manchester, parking zones are differentiated by colored zones. Blue zones allow parking for one to 1.5 hours. Green zones allow parking two to four hours. Red zones do not permit parking at any times.
What Else to Know
Driving with a rental car is a smart mode of transportation around Manchester metropolitan area. However, the metropolitan population totals a half-million people, so account for traffic when making travel plans. The city is well-connected to the rest of the U.K. via excellent motorways north, south, east and west.
Select your travel dates and vehicle type below to view rates, availability & make secure online reservations in Manchester. Most of the car rental companies offer compact, mid-size, full-size, luxury, convertible, suvs and many other types of vehicles. The car rental reservation systems are very user friendly and offer great savings.